Monday, January 28, 2008

Mooovieeesss

Cake and I went to see Sweeney Todd yesterday. An interesting movie... or should I say musical. It wasn't super duper but I must say it was very enjoyable.

The melodies to which the lyrics were sung to were all very beautiful and complemented the scenes very well. Similar to the musical version of 'The producers' (2005), I especially thought the combination of the more 'classic' singing style and the use of simple everyday/casual language in the lyrics was very cool. If my ears weren't playing tricks on me, I heard the C-word in one of the lines sung by Johnny Depp. It had quite a kick to it.

If you're ok with a bit of blood then Sweeney Todd is very worth watching. Actually, make that lots of blood... Lots of splashing blood. But it's all good!

As for Cloverfield, damn that movie got me so nauseous I was close to puking in the cinema. I guess it's what sets Cloverfield apart from other big screen movies, but I really am not a big fan of the hand held camera/home video style movies. The camera was constantly moving so fast that I got soooo sick. I had to take five and come out to wash my face in the bathroom. That didn't help much.

There was a line in the movie where one of the girl characters was losing lots of blood and said she was dizzy. I felt so much like yelling out 'I'm so f*cking dizzy too!' but I don't think my fellow audience members would have appreciated it much. It certainly didn't help the whole place was smelling of rich butter from all the popcorn they had in there, either.

That aside, I thought the movie had an interesting concept to it. The way the plot progressed definitely left me wanting to find out more (If I didn't have to constantly close and rest my eyes and brain every 2 minutes). The trailer and early parts of the movie did a very good job of getting you curious. If it wasn't because of the constantly moving camera, I think I would have liked the movie a lot more. I honestly really wanted to leave my eyes open and see everything they had to offer, but my brain wasn't co-operating. Ok, I'm back to complaining again. But such a shame... so promising, yet impossible for me to watch.

Now I'm waiting for SAW IV to come out. Woohoo!! Who wants to come watch with me??

No comments: